POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Confining an object to within an sPatch object : Re: Confining an object to within an sPatch object Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Confining an object to within an sPatch object
From: The "D"
Date: 30 Jan 2000 00:37:14
Message: <3893ce0a@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes <omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in
message news:388fdaed@news.povray.org...
> Yes, animated, although that makes little difference if you set it up
like an
> animation and use a mid range clock value for instance to do the still
image.
> The stream flow thing was simply a spray directed along the ground
plane.  I was
> thinking it could also fall from a height onto the ground with little
or no
> bounce to pool up in a basin.  The main problem being to keep it
around long
> enough (the lifetime and evaporation parameters) since the particles
have a
> tendency to shrink away regardless of the settings from what I could
tell about
> it.
> It should be possible for a limited puddling anyhow just using the
spray alone
> and no separate puddle object.

Ok so It doesn't matter for animation or stills the settings would come
out to be about the same then. Gotcha

> Not sure I gather your reasoning about the torus or cylinder with a
hole for
> standing water, unless you meant for the containing object.  That
would need
> some CSG used on the spray.  I usually go with either plane, clipped
plane, box,
> blob, disc or cylinder as water surfaces with a wrinkles pattern or
highly
> turbulent ripples (waves if active water).  Others have used
'height_field' too,
> in various ways.

The reasoning might not make sense becasue of my lack of indepth
knowledge of the laws of POV. What I was thinking was since the bowlish
part of the fountain (the only part I have finisht at the time) looks
like the bottom half of a shpere with an upside down hollow cone in the
middle I would need some way to get the water around the cone but I'm
now seeing that that doesn't make much sense since the water will be
tranparent (or translucent I haven't decided) anyway.